Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is Physiotherapy?

Physiotherapy is a client focused health profession dedicated to:

• Improving and maintaining functional independence and physical performance.

• Preventing and managing pain/ physical impairments.

• Promoting fitness, health and wellness.

What is Massage Therapy?

Massage Therapy is the assessment and treatment of the soft tissues and joints of the body by manipulation in order to develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment physical function, or relieve pain. (Massage Therapy Act, 1991).

Do I need a referral from my doctor?

A doctor’s referral is not required to initiate treatment, however, most extended health care insurance plans do require a medical doctor referral in order to receive reimbursement. Physiotherapy Associates of Port Perry is pleased to announce that we are now covered by OHIP for seniors (65+) and children (up to the age of 19) for Physiotherapy.  A doctor referral and presentation of a valid health card is required prior to making an appointment for OHIP services.

What do I wear to treatment?

Loose fitting clothing so the area being treated is accessible is ideal. For example, shorts for a lower body injury and tank top for a shoulder.

How long is my appointment?

Depending on the injury and treatment, your appointment can be 30 to 60 minutes long.

How do I pay for treatment?

We accept Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, debit, Interac E-Transfer, cash and cheque as forms of payment. In many cases, we will receive payment directly from extended health companies, motor vehicle insurance providers, WSIB and OHIP. If we do not receive payment directly from the above providers, payment will be due at the time of the appointment.

How do I start treatment after an MVA (motor vehicle accident)?

Once you have notified your insurance company of your accident you will receive a claim number as well as an insurance adjuster to handle your accident benefits claim. If you have extended health care you need to seek a medical doctor for a referral to physiotherapy or massage therapy written out at their discretion. From there you can make an appointment for an assessment and we can begin treatment. For those who do not have extended health care referrals are not required, unless stated otherwise by your insurance company.

How do I start treatment after a workplace (WSIB) injury?

Unfortunately, our clinic is unable to accept WSIB cases at this time.

Is Physiotherapy Covered Under OHIP at this facility?

Yes, we have received funding from the Ministry of Health to provide Physiotherapy Services for Seniors (65+) and children (up to 19 years old). For more information regarding eligibility for this program, please visit the Ministry of Health website below. Please note that a valid referral from a medical doctor or nurse practitioner is required in order to qualify for government-funded physiotherapy treatment, provided eligibility requirements are met.

*Please note that OHIP funded physiotherapy is subject to funding availability.*

Government Funded Clinic-Based Physiotherapy Services FAQ